Services for Students with Disabilities

How does the Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD) office determine what accommodations and services I should receive?

SSD engages in an interactive process to explore accommodations. During the Welcome Meeting the student should communicate their lived-experience and any academic barriers they face to their coordinators. The Coordinator will then follow the department’s process to explore the disability-related accommodation requests made by the student.

I received accommodations in high school or I had an individualized Education Plan (IEP or 504 Plan), can I use the IEP or 504 plan as documentation?

Yes, that can be a great document to show your history with accommodations. In your Welcome Meeting your coordinator can discuss if further disability-related documentation is needed.

As a student with a disability leaving high school and entering postsecondary education, will I see differences in my rights and how they are addressed?

Yes. Section 504 and Title II protect elementary, secondary, and postsecondary students from discrimination. Nevertheless, several of the requirements that apply through high school are different from the requirements that apply beyond high school. For instance, Section 504 requires a school district to provide a free appropriate public education (FAPE) to each child with a disability in the district’s jurisdiction. Whatever the disability, a school district must identify an individual’s educational needs and provide any regular or special education and related aids and services necessary to meet those needs as well as it is meeting the needs of students without disabilities.

Unlike your high school, however, your postsecondary school is not required to provide FAPE. Rather, your postsecondary school is required to provide appropriate academic accommodations as necessary to ensure that it does not discriminate on the basis of disability.

When should I apply for Academic Accommodations?

You can apply at any time during your career at UMich. If you are a student incoming for the Fall semester, you should apply in late Spring or Summer. Students MUST have a Unique name to submit a Student Application Form to SSD.

As a student do I have to disclose my disability?

If you intend to use Academic Accommodations you will need to disclose your disability to the SSD office, and in some cases provide disability-related documentation. Please note SSD keeps your disability-related information confidential, and does not disclose sensitive information (i.e. diagnosis, treatment) to faculty or staff. This allows the student to determine who, where, and why they disclose their disability.

How do I locate accessible routes, entries and elevators to campus buildings?

Information about ramp and elevator access to campus buildings can be found on the Interactive Campus Map.

Is accessible transportation available?

Yes, Paratransit services are available to students, staff and visitors. To start this process, please complete our Paratransit Application.

What role do my parents play in the process?

At the postsecondary education level, it is our process to have all conversations directly with the student, including previous use of accommodations and any requests for accommodations while attending the University of Michigan. While parents and learning specialists are able to communicate more directly with high school staff, that access is not in place in Higher Education. If you would like to have your parent(s) participate in any conversations with you and SSD, please complete the FERPA form prior to making an appointment to meet with an SSD staff member.

What if I have additional questions?

Always reach out to your coordinator or the SSD office at 

Will my transcript show that I used accommodations in college?

No, accommodations are a confidential civil right, and will not be noted on transcripts.

Do I have to renew my accommodations every semester/year?

You do not have to renew your accommodations, but you will have to request them through Accommodate at the beginning of every semester based on your needs in individual courses. 

Does SSD facilitate Housing and Dining Accommodations?

No, Housing Accommodations are explored by Housing's Health and Disability Coordinator. You may contact them about the accommodation process by calling (734) 764-7400 or emailing

If you have a food allergy or require a special diet, M|Dining has registered dietitians who can provide you with the resources and information needed to make healthy food choices in the dining halls. For more information check out M|Dining's Allergies and Special Diets or contact them at