Services for Students with Disabilities


Temporary disabilities refer to a short time period in which a person has a disability, for example, a broken leg, a surgical procedure, or a common health condition.

Some students with temporary mobility impairments due to a broken leg or surgical procedure may qualify for transportation assistance arranged through SSD. Paratransit services are available for those students, faculty and staff who qualify. Please call our office at (734) 763-3000 so that we can provide Paratransit with the requisite information.

Other students with injuries to arms and hands may use voice input computers or other equipment housed in the Jim Knox Adaptive Technology Computing Site (ATCS). Temporary health concerns of themselves, however, do not commonly constitute a disability and afford a student special accommodations facilitated through SSD.

Although students may contact SSD, those with temporary or common health conditions should discuss the need for short-term accommodations with their professors. Students who believe their accommodation needs have not been met may contact the Office of the Ombudsman (763-3545) for assistance. 


All temporary disabilities need to have supporting documentation by a certified professional.

How to Register with SSD

The documentation can be sent to us one of the following ways:

  • Faxed to (734) 936-3947
  • Emailed to
  • Brought to our office at G-664 Haven Hall

Once our office receives the paperwork you will need to call Megan Marshall at 734-763-3001 or email her at to set up an appointment and/or to let you know of any additional paperwork needed.

During the initial meeting the registration paperwork will be done. Megan Marshall will determine your eligibility for services and identify reasonable and appropriate academic accommodations.

Please note that University Policy is two weeks’ prior notice for any academic accommodation.


More information about temporary disabilities.