Managed through the Ann Arbor Area Community Foundation (AAACF), this scholarship provides two $2,000 awards each year to University of Michigan students with learning or physical disabilities.
The scholarships are awarded to students having the qualities of Burt Black:
- Optimism, determination, courage, and a zest for life
- Involvement in school and community
- Perseverance in academic achievement
The awards may be used for tuition, books, or other educational expenses related to disability accommodations.
Students applying for this scholarship must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled at U-M for both Fall 2019 and Winter 2020
- Have a learning or physical disability with documentation on file with SSD
The scholarship committee will consider the following when reviewing applicants:
- Impact of disability
- Academic achievement
- Qualities of optimism, determination, and courage
- Demonstrated involvement in school and community
Submit your application no later than Sunday, September 27, 2020 at 11:59pm.
Scholarship recipients will be notified no later than Friday, October 26, 2020.
We are grateful to the family of Burt Black for these generous awards as well as to the AAACF for their expert management.