Services for Students with Disabilities


Federal law defines a disability as "a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities." Chronic health conditions may include, but are not limited to, AIDS, arthritis, Crohn's disease, cystic fibrosis, fibromyalgia, heart disease, muscular dystrophy, multiple sclerosis, and respiratory conditions.

There are two types of illnesses: acute and chronic. Acute illnesses (like a cold or the flu) are usually over relatively quickly. Chronic illnesses, though, are long-lasting health conditions (the word "chronic" comes from the Greek word chronos, meaning time). If you're living with a chronic illness, you may feel affected not just physically, but also emotionally, socially, and sometimes even financially.


Please fill out the Chronic Health Condition Verification Form.

How to Register with SSD

The completed verification form can be sent to us one of the following ways:

  • Faxed to (734) 936-3947 - Must include a cover sheet with name and UM ID
  • Emailed to
  • Brought to our office at G-664 Haven Hall

Once our office receives the paperwork you will need to call Megan Marshall at 734-763-3001 or email her at to set up an appointment and/or to let you know of any additional paperwork needed.

During the initial meeting the registration paperwork will be done. Megan will determine your eligibility for services and identify reasonable and appropriate academic accommodations.

Please note that University Policy is two weeks’ prior notice for any academic accommodation.

More information about Chronic Health Conditions