Services for Students with Disabilities

SSD only provides academic accommodations. Housing and Dining can be helpful resources for anyone in need of disability-related housing accommodations or those in need of adjustments to their meal plans.

On Campus Housing

For information about disability related housing accommodations on campus, please contact the Health Disability Coordinator at hsg-health-disability@umich.


When you submit your Housing application, please complete and submit the Documentation for Accommodation Needs form and attach any requested documentation.

Service Animals

"Certified service animals that assist people with disabilities are permitted as required by law. Documentation regarding the need for a service animal, as well as what services/tasks they perform, is required when making such an accommodation request. Please contact the Housing Information Office (734) 763-3164 to obtain information on the review and approval processes that must be completed prior to bringing such animals into any University Housing facility."

-Community Living at Michigan (CLAM), a handbook (pdf), pp. 14-15

Food Allergies

If you have a food allergy or require a special diet, University Housing's registered dietitians can provide you with the resources and information needed to make healthy food choices in the dining halls. For more information check out the University Housing Food Allergies webpage. You can also contact Kathryn Whiteside at

Off Campus Housing

For information about accessible housing off campus, call (734) 764-7455 or visit the Ann Arbor Center for Independent Living website.

You can also visit the Fair Housing Center website if you think you are being or have been discriminated against due to your disability.  FHC investigates complaints of illegal housing discrimination in six counties (including Washtenaw) in Michigan.