Managed through the Ann Arbor Area Community Foundation (AAACF), this scholarship provides two $2500 awards each year to University of Michigan students with learning or physical disabilities.
The scholarships are awarded to students having the qualities of Burt Black:
- Optimism, determination, courage, and a zest for life
- Involvement in school and community
- Perseverance in academic achievement
The awards may be used for tuition, books, or other educational expenses related to disability accommodations.
Students applying for this scholarship must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled at U-M for both Fall 2017 and Winter 2018
- Have a learning or physical disability with documentation on file with SSD
The scholarship committee will consider the following when reviewing applicants:
- Type of disability
- Academic achievement
- Qualities of optimism, determination, and courage
- Demonstrated involvement in school and community
Application Process for the Burt Black Memorial Scholarship
Apply by submitting an essay that includes the following:
- Your name, phone number, email address, and U-M ID number listed at the top
- Your disability and how it impacts you in the academic setting of the U-M
- Your academic and career objectives and successes
- How the qualities you possess make you a candidate worthy of this scholarship
- How you would use the Burt Black Memorial Scholarship to further support your academic success and career path
- A description of your school and community involvement and how it demonstrates your desire to give back to others
If your disability documentation is not already on file with the SSD office, please include a letter from a physician, or an educational, therapeutic, diagnostic, or rehabilitation agency documenting your disability.
Submit your application through email, no later than Friday, September 29, 2017 at 5:00pm to:
SSD Office, email@example.com
Scholarship recipients will be notified no later than October 16, 2017.
Direct any questions to the SSD office at 734.763.3000.
We are grateful to the family of Burt Black for these generous awards as well as to the AAACF for their expert management.