Services for Students with Disabilities

Do I have to register with the SSD office?

No, you do not have to register with the SSD office. You can advocate and attempt to arrange for accommodations by yourself. However, you are encouraged to register with the SSD office. The SSD office exists as a student advocacy agency and can assist you in obtaining appropriate accommodations. The office offers a wide range of services that may be helpful to you as you matriculate through your program.

Letter of Advocacy or VISA Form

Students who register with SSD can request a letter of advocacy called a Verified Individualized Services and Accommodations (VISA) form. The VISA form or letter, which verifies a student's disability and suggests accommodations, can be given to professors each semester according to needs.

Registered SSD students are assigned a Coordinator of Services to assist them as they arrange for services and serve as an advocate if there are accommodation issues.