The Burt Black Memorial Scholarship managed through the Ann Arbor Area Community Foundation (AAACF) provides a $1,000 scholarship annually to a UM student with a learning disability or paralysis who embodies the qualities of optimism, determination, courage, and a zest for life; has demonstrated involvement in school and community; and has persevered in academic achievement. The award can be used for tuition, books, or other related educational expenses related to accommodations for disabilities.
All application materials must be submitted to Services for Students with Disabilities by September 24, 2014. Students receiving awards will be notified by October 1st.
The following are required of a student applying for this scholarship. The student must:
- Be enrolled at UM for both Fall 2014 and Winter 2015
- Have a learning disability or paralysis with documentation on file with SSD
The following will be considered when awarding the scholarship:
- Type of disability
- Academic achievement
- Qualities of optimism, determination, and courage
- Demonstrated involvement in school and community
APPLICATION PROCESS FOR BURT BLACK MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP
On a sheet of paper please give your name, phone number, email address, and student ID number.
Then please describe:
- Your disability and how it impacts you in the academic setting of the UM
- Your academic and career objectives and successes
- How the qualities you possess make you a candidate worthy of this scholarship
- How you would use the Burt Black Memorial Scholarship to support your further academic success and career path
- What your involvement in school and the community is and has been and how it demonstrates your desire to give back to others
If disability documentation is not already on file with the SSD office, please include a letter documenting your disability from a physician, or from an educational, therapeutic, diagnostic, or rehabilitation agency.
By September 24, 2014 this application must have been delivered in person or by email to:
Virginia Grubaugh, firstname.lastname@example.org
Services for Students with Disabilities
G-664 Haven Hall
Decisions regarding the recipient of this award will be made by October 1st.
If you have questions call the SSD office at (734) 763-3000.
We are grateful to the Blacks for this award and to AAACF for their expert management.